Saturday, May 05, 2007

Crocheted Sun Tea Spot

For one of the first times of the year I sat outside on the front stoop with my drink to work on some research stuff on my laptop. As I put my drink down I had a deep seated fear that I was going to put my glass down to hard and crack the bottom on the concrete... no good. So what to do? How about crochet my own little spot for my sun tea.

It's also heating up around here, finally, and condensation is getting everywhere, so they will be coming in handy for that too!

And so this week's Craft Leftover pattern was born.



Unfortunately, today is not one of those "sit outside in the glorious bliss of the sun" so here it is keeping my external from getting wet.



And here's the corrected pattern:
Edited in: While my mom was crocheting up her own little coasters, she called me up and said, "Kristin, I'm not sure if it's me or your pattern, but I just can't get this thing figured out." Much to my horror, I had completely forgoten to write in the second round and completely miss wrote what is now round six. I swear I have made and tested this pattern so many times! If you ever find an error or a possible error, please email me or leave a comment about it. I'll post again about this on Saturday when the new pattern goes up.

I really like making coasters, it's a super fast project, that takes up those little craft leftovers, and it's a great way to practice stitches or working in the round. Good stuff.

So more updates:
I totally didn't get anything in the store this past week, but I did get my first wholesale order, which is kind of funny if you think about the fact that I feel I will have a constant store of leftover fabric to the point where I can provide it whole sale... i suppose it does cut my costs and it does help to get through my stash faster.

This weekend is pretty packed. I'm helping out in the Fashion and Labor Trade Show where we will celebrate the labor of making your own cloths and show off everything made in the last 6 months of workshops about making your own textiles. It's at Mess Hall in chicago from 2-5pm on Sunday.

Then finals Monday-Wednesday... ah to be done, and then start again, I have summer school starting a week from today. It's going to be really neat though, advanced crit and seminars about chicago artists. It would be nice to have the summer off school, but by working hard at it now, I get to graduate a semester earlier.... which I really like the idea of.

Oh and in the comments it was mentioned that I should keep the rss feed if I go to a more "website" format. I really like that idea. I know that I wouldn't look at half the blogs I do if it weren't for bloglines. I think what will happen, is something like a webcomic, where the most current pattern will be on the front page and then you can click back though the archive or search it by materials, date, technique, item type, that sort of thing. As more and more patterns are being added I would like the archive to be a bit more user friendly, something that blogger doesn't really offer, which is okay, it's been great so far. I also have some other ideas that I want to keep under wraps for a bit while I talk to my programing friend about it, make sure it's feasible.

Hopefully, once I recover from the finals week, I will get some more kits and stuff together in the store.

Oh I also had my first Green Prairie Fibers sock yarn order! Yah!

See you next time! Keep it Crafty!

3 comments:

chumly said...

Now that was a crafty inspiration for a crafty idea.

Oldpatterns said...

Great Blog! I've been reading it for a while. You've been tagged. Check out my blog to find out what I mean. http://oldpatterns.blogspot.com/

Kristin said...

Well I have been tagged, so seven random facts:
1. I have really smelly feet
2. I like mixing apple sauce and cottage cheese
3. I rarely finish knitting projects, I really just like to knit...
4. I have more books than clothing (priorities are important)
5. I love having house plants, but tend to kill them all unless they are especially hardy.
6. I have a ferret named Ferret Beuler and I call him Mr. B.
7. I love cleanliness and order, but my apartment is always a mess... go figure. The plite of an artist studio being in the house, projects everywhere.

I haven't decided who to tag, so i will do that later.

Maybe I will just tag you all! hehe, nah, I will list 7 tagged bloggers some time soon.

Thanks for including me, your blog is really swanky by the way. Keep it up.